Wednesday 1 September 2021

Foraging for Planters and New Plants

 


The fall is the perfect time for backyard projects and redoing backyard garden areas. The temperatures are cooler and any heavy work is not as tiring.

I have had too many large projects this year in the backyard and fitting them in and affording them can be a challenge. So when I went to a few garage sales and found a carload of planters and free seeds and semi free plants I was thrilled.

The planters were cleaned and half were stored for later use. The other planters were filled with perennial seeds and new plants. They are in the mini greenhouse (8 foot long and 3 foot wide) sprouting and growing new roots.

My best plant and seed haul were from a sale that was next door. I was admiring the garden and asked if I wanted seeds. (Never ask a garden addict if they want seeds.) I picked up a huge bag of Forget Me Nots, Foxglove, Columbine, and two other varieties of perennials.

I also am going to help thin out the neighbor’s garden beds for free plants. She needs the help in the gardens and I always need new plants for gardens or to trade for other plants. And she has amazing plants.

Thinking about installing a quality fence around your property? Visit this website

I have found over the years that by stopping and admiring gardens it leads to plant exchanges and free plants. And often gardening tips that add beauty and shortcuts to my gardening.

Seed Tip: Make sure any saved seeds are dry. Store them in paper envelopes or in glass jars stored in a dark dry place until you plan to use them.

Plant Transplant Tip: Get your plants in the ground as soon as possible. If need be make a temporary storage bed to lace them in. I also water the plants with a dilute mix of willow water to help with plants transplants shock.

Planter tip: Use vinegar to get any stubborn stains out of a planter. I also use baking soda for stubborn stains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Safety tips for Raking Leaves

  It may seem strange but a simple job such as raking leaves can cause numerous injuries if you don’t think ahead and plan accordingly Dat...